[tech] Possible Club Purchase Idea: GPU heavy calculations box

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jun 24 11:32:18 WST 2011

On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 11:16:56AM +0800, Daniel Axtens wrote:
> A few people tossed around the idea of getting a multiple-GPU box
> to do Maths(TM). Suggested projects included Cameron Hall 3D (CH3D),
> Bitcoin mining (possible source of club income: although, are they worth
> anything any more?), and generally other cool stuff.
[...]

Sounds fun, I'll donate, too.

It's getting progressively harder to mine/verify, right? Anyone here
done any recently?

> The plan would be to lock it in the MR, away from gamers.

Even if thats not the primary goal, it'd be nice to hook one of those GPUs
to a clubroom-visible GDU on occasion, maybe it could show walkthroughs of CH3D.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal