[tech] Italy (Rome Replacement) - Why is the MR so hot?

Mitch Kelly (UCC) mitch at ucc.asn.au
Wed Mar 2 21:39:58 WST 2011

Hi,

Italy has been installed in the rack closest to the door, Due to lack of
mounting screws i have had to put it on top of the disk array (It was cold
anyway). Its an ESXI 4.1 box and uses 2 NIC's (Bonded)

It is using 130.95.13.78 (It didn't seem in use)

It will replace Rome over the next few weeks, Once all is Xfer'd i will
remove Rome and put Italy up the top where rome was.

On a side note the MR is boiling hot, The aircon is pushing out cold air
however i noticed the roof near the window has nothing covering it, So there
is a 10cm wide x 2m long gap expsong the MR to the outside... This should
really be sealed, I looked for something here but to no aval. Does someone
have something that can be jammed in there?? You don't drive around in your
car on a 40 degree day with the windows down and the aircon on.... This is
the same...

I also noticed there is only 2x 10A cables going to the first rack, They are
almost pliable in your hand and are about 50 degrees each, Perhaps we should
run another 2 cables to that rack??.. Seeing as they look like cheap
extension cords it would be nice to replace them with some fatter orange
cables, Cheap ones generally don't hold up to anything over 7.5amps.

Mitch