[tech] Machine Room Cooling Issues

Bob Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Mar 11 00:09:10 WST 2011

Damn top posters...
The SAN is what's taking up about a third of the left-hand rack - it has
an FC switch, 3 shelves of FC disks (one of which is the controller), and
a UPS. The controllers are called enron and stearns.

[BOB]

On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Matt Johnston wrote:

> Which one's the SAN? I think that might be the hot shelf I was thinking of...
>
> Matt
>
> Bob Adamson <bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> >are in
> >machines. I
> >>
> >> Put a power meter on things, see what's generating the most
> >> heat, and throw out the loser. I reckon those old disk
> >> arrays would be the hottest item at the moment. Are they
> >> worth keeping?
> >>
> >> Could the UPS be kept outside the machineroom?
> >>
> >> Matt
> >>

> >I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with the power supply for the servers
> >being easily accessible to curious freshers...
> >
> >The old disk array still has some stuff on it but that can be moved to
> >the
> >SAN and the array retired - it's only using 35G afaict, but it in
> >reality
> >it isn't all that hot. The SAN is pretty warm, but the current setup
> >doesn't really permit us to disconnect an entire shelf, and removing
> >unused disks will only make it hard to cool the remaining disks.
> >
> >Other things that we can maybe turn off/do:
> >
> >-Martello. What services still run on that btw, and do we want to
> >retire/repurpose it completely?
> >
> >-Heathred. Move the heathred software and name to meimei's hardware,
> >then
> >retire the P4 xeon heathred's running on. Meimei was good for cameron
> >hall
> >3d, but it's totally underutilised now. With a new network card (the
> >current one crashes under load), I reckon it would make a great upgrade
> >heathred.
> >
> >-Mermaid. [TRS] pointed me at a fantastic nano board that satisfies all
> >
> >the criteria for the new dispense box - more to come on this, but the
> >current mermaid box is *very* hot (especially the disks for some
> >reason)
> >
> >-Pomona. A club owned box that I claimed, can move to a VM somewhere as
> >
> >long as I still have access to the SAN. It is however, a sun V20Z, so I
> >
> >would feel a little sad if the hardware were going to waste.
> >
> >-Meersau. Is a boring dual P4 Xeon running debian, and all it does is
> >run
> >the thin terminals, do a little build-botting, and generate heat. Could
> >
> >another server run those services instead?
> >
> >-Coconut. Is our core switch, and runs *very* hot - not much we can do
> >about that afaik.
> >
> >-Some server that some guy from ITS has in there. That's long past its
> >departure time in my opinion, and it's the first thing that should go
> >before a single UCC server is touched.
> >
> >[BOB]

Bob Adamson
UCC President

|"Bureaucracy is a challenge to the be conquered with a righteous        |
|attitude, an intolerance for stupidity, and a bulldozer when necessary" |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |