[tech] Murasoi IP address

Bob Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat May 7 16:27:39 WST 2011

On Sat, 7 May 2011, James Andrewartha wrote:
> 10 hours on IRC, from midnight to 10am, is not sufficient notice for this
> sort of change. Please fuck off.

Odd, I would have thought Frenchie would have mentioned to me why it was
so hard to do. Regardless, I think your language leaves a lot to be
desired.

The problem that has been pointed out to me is the effort required in
changing over the default gateway on all the servers. I'm happy to do this
once murasoi has been set up, and packet forwarding can be used so that
it's not necessary to do it all at once.

I think the move should still happen, anything that isn't on dhcp but
derives its config from an ip address assumes that the default gateway is
.1 and will error if this is not the case. This frequently catches people
when setting up machines on the machine room network.

As Luke pointed out on irc, there's no reason that we have to both cut
over the routing address and change the routing box at the same time. This
seems like a wise idea, it can wait.

Bob Adamson
UCC President

|"Bureaucracy is a challenge to the be conquered with a righteous        |
|attitude, an intolerance for stupidity, and a bulldozer when necessary" |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |