[tech] Murasoi IP address

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sun May 8 18:36:58 WST 2011

Very little will route at a gigabit, if you want any kind of traffic
analysis or firewalling. This includes most server hardware with a
crappy chipset. Generally the issue is not the number of rules or
whatever (because state tracking does a good job of cutting down on
those) but the number of interrupts being raised by the NIC and so the
size of the packets coming through.

You can however get layer three switches for about $3-4k that will do
gigabit static routing with little to no analysis, if that's your
thing. Or a server with a fast (by MHz, not cores) CPU, an Intel (or
some Broadcom) chipsets that does interrupt coalescing sanely, and
probably a BSD OS.

As for the IP change, just make the new IP an alias on the interface,
change all the servers and devices and DNS, confirm with tcpdump that
there's no traffic crossing the interface for the old IP (for a good
24 hours), then remove the old IP. Doesn't have to take a week, or be
difficult, or require shouting.

Cheers,

Patrick