[tech] New linux machine

Bob Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Oct 14 18:34:34 WST 2011

The "Want" email I sent earlier in the year with the specs and prices for
a new linux machine is pretty out of date now, so I came up with a new
box. This machine can either replace humpback, be one of the first
machines to use a new bench place after the cleanup, or replace a thinterm
if the thinterm moves to the corridor. If it becomes a additional machine
instead of a replacement, we will also need a screen, mouse and keyboard.
This will be discussed at the committee meeting on Tuesday, and I would be
interested to hear people's opinions on the matter.

$$$  Item
89   Coolermaster elite 335 case with 420W psu
110  Asus F1A75-M-LE FM1 USB3 Hudson D3 RAID GLAN DVI MB
64   G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8G Kit(4Gx2) DDR3 1600 (from MSY)
249  120Gb Corsair Force 3 SSD 2.5" SATA3 550/510 MB/s HDD SF-2200 CSSD-F120GB3-BK
154  AMD A8-3850 Quad Core Fusion FM1 CPU 2.9Ghz 4Mb Llano 3850 AD3850WNGXBOX Boxed HS & Fan
79   Samsung SH-B123A Blu Ray Combo Drive DVDRW & BluRay Reader SATA Retail Black
745  total
(previous price was $822, and this build has better specs)

All from netplus unless noted otherwise. We already have all the
peripherals, screens, etc, so this is just the box.

Security needs also depend on what place this box takes - we'll need more
cables and locks if it becomes an additional machine. Again, this will be
discussed at the next committee meeting before purchase.

Andrew Adamson
UCC President
bob at ucc.asn.au

|"The faster you move, the slower time passes, the longer you live."     |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |