[tech] New UWA network interface options

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Oct 17 22:26:52 WST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011, David Adam wrote:
>
> > The problem with the first option, which I discovered with a trill of gay
> > laughter after having spent many hours trying to get it working, is that
> > you can't connected any 100 megabit devices to a copper GBIC. However, I'm
> > not convinced that our uplink copper cable will support gigabit traffic.
> > Also I will ask the club for $50 to recoup part of the cost of new fans
> > and GBICs. [*]
>
> Ah, no multi-rate gbics for the Cisco 3508? Shame.

According to random web searches, multi-rate GBICs are Not A Thing,
anywhere, ever. Gigabit Interface Card means just gigabit.

> > Alternatively, if we can talk [AHC] into selling or donating the Cisco
> > 2948G living in the machine room (which has 48 10/100 ports but two GBIC
> > slots), we could use that if our uplink doesn't support Gigabit speeds.
>
> I'd honestly prefer you guys run some cat5e? :) Or get some fibre run?
> Because any other solution is unfortunately filled with "what do we do if
> it breaks?" questions. :/

Based on the prices [MRD] posted a little further down the list, I think
getting a couple of pairs of copper run makes sense (if our current link
won't do Gigabit, which I find highly likely). I know we're supposed to be
moving to a different building in the not too distant future, but
gigabit-ish Internet seems like something cool that we should do. I would
donate $50 towards the project.

[DAA]