[tech] Problems with Mylah's network connection

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jan 3 13:00:02 WST 2012

For as long as I can remember, people have been complaining that the
network is slow. "Whatever", I usually think, and go back to IRC.

Then I wrote a backups script that uses SSH and discovered that it would
die occasionally with "Corrupted MAC on input. Disconnecting: Packet
corrupt". Oops.

Further investigation reveals that an
  `ssh root at murasoi cat /dev/zero | pv > /dev/null`
pipe will eventually die with the same error message (i.e. the stream gets
corrupted at some point), but it usually takes hours and up to twenty
gigabytes of traffic. It happens between Mylah and Motsugo, too, but it
doesn't seem to happen between Murasoi and anything else (including
anything on the same switch as Mylah) - over 3TB transferred without a
problem.

Interestingly even though both Mylah and Murasoi are on gigabit
connections, the maximum throughput is more like 2-300 megabit as measured
by pv(1); on other gigabit-enabled hosts on the machine room it is more
like 800 megabit. The throughput also drops every few minutes to basically
zero. iperf(1) shows similar information.

A little bit of analysis with tcpdump(8) shows that captures on Mylah show
significant packet loss interrupting the TCP stream - lots of missed ACKs
and retransmissions. I suspect this causing the throughput limitations and
occasional pauses, but I'm not sure it is responsible for the corrupted
packets.

I'm not really sure where to go from here. iperf is supposed to give some
in-depth indication of TCP performance or dropped datagrams in UDP mode
but does neither. The tcpdump traces are not particularly enlightening;
not much is changing quickly in `netstat -s`.

I wonder about the performance of a 32-bit 33mHz gigabit network card but
have no idea how to measure the PCI utilisation or interrupt frequency on
Linux. (pcitop looked promising but only works on HP IA-64 machines.)

Anyone have any thoughts?

David