[tech] Network updates - Less port security, more uplink

Matt Didcoe mattman at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 15 15:40:54 WST 2012

Hi,

Two things:

1) Port security has been disabled - due to unreliable numbering of
the clubroom ports it was causing more headaches than it was worth
2) We have a gigabit uplink now!

The uplink runs from GigabitEthernet1/3/43 on science-dr-01.net to
Gi0/8 on sesame.ucc via single mode fibre that is patched from Science
Library via Psychology and CTEC to Cameron Hall. It then continues its
journey to UCC on the copper cable that we all know and love. For
those interested in the config, you can always view our switch configs
online[1]. The config on the science-dr-01 end looks like this:

    interface GigabitEthernet1/3/43
    description Guild UCC
    switchport
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 11,13,69,100-104,113,514
    switchport mode trunk

There's only one link in place at the moment, we'll hopefully fix that
soon to have a link to science-dr-02 to have redundancy at the UWA
end.

[DAA] has already been kind enough to update the wiki page to reflect
these changes (thanks David!).

There will still be some downtime on Sunday - that may include the
aforementioned second link and if nothing else, UWA needs to do an
upgrade to the IOS running on the distribution points. All going well
that won't take long.

The next discussion to have is whether we bother with a small UPS in
the Cameron Hall comms room to keep sesame online if the power dips -
there's little point having the fantastic UPS running in our machine
room if the uplink dies and nobody can get in to investigate what's
going on (everything upstream of us to the internet is UPS and
generator backed).

Cheers,
[MRD]

[1] http://cvs.ucc.asn.au/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/rancid/ucc/configs/