[tech] Catfish replacement - Cowfish

Andrew Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 23 16:12:30 WST 2014

Hi Prad,

CPU - good.

Mobo - Asus good, Gigabyte less so (imo).

RAM - the old machine has 8GB of DDR3. Maybe it's worth testing that RAM
in another machine for a week to see if it's any good before we go buying
more?

GPU - good. I'd go for whichever of those has the best cooling and will
cope best with the dust buildup you get in UCC machines.

HDD - use the existing 1TB disk in the machine. There's nothing wrong with
it and we're quite a long way from filling it still.

Case - definitely use the old case. We were careful when we got catfish
and combtail to get cases that we could use in future machines. It
probably wants a good dusting, but is otherwise all good. The existing
case has been modified for our security cables too, and the ability to
make cases work with security is a criteria you need to look at if ever
you're buying cases for UCC. I check that the mobo you specced also has
all the correct headers for the front panel connector of the existing
case, so all good there. If you need any parts for it they should be in a
box in the machine room.

PSU - use the existing one unless it doesn't have the right connectors or
not enough power. The bag of connectors for that PSU was kept and should
be in the machine room.

Optical drive - use the existing one, there's nothing wrong with it. Even
if it weren't, the club now has an external DVD drive, which should be in
the machine room.

SSD - definitely a luxury item on windows machines where most of the
login-time length is due to samba slowness. Games (including steam games)
should be on the bulk storage disk on the windows machines, so not a lot
of gain there. An SSD may make things faster for people with cached
profiles, and maybe the odd program I guess. Eh, all the other machines
have them, may as well get one.

The only other thing I think we should get is a new screen for Catfish.
The current one is a 21.5" Samsung that really is a bit long in the tooth
for the machine it's on. I'd suggest another Dell U2412, or maybe it's
time the club splashed out and got a 3D screen with glasses. Whatever we
get, it just needs an available VESA mounting hole for security cables.

Andrew Adamson
bob at ucc.asn.au

|"If you can't beat them, join them, and then beat them."                |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |