[tech] [hwc] IPv6 Outage

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Jun 30 10:12:10 WST 2014

On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Mitchell Pomery wrote:
> As mentioned before, UWA is doing a university wide upgrade enabling IPv6
> everywhere. In doing so, UCC will have IPv6 disabled temporarily.
>
> It is starting on the 30th June (Not the 22nd as previously stated) and the
> outage window is two weeks.

I edited zonemake and we don't publish AAAA records for our services any
more. I don't know if this is going to be a real outage or whether it's
been made as an advisory notice, but I'll turn AAAA records back on in a
couple of weeks.

Presumably IPv6 packets sent upstream will just be dropped once the outage
starts; I'm not sure what the best way is of avoiding long timeouts before
fallback to IPv4. So I put it on ServerFault. We might have an answer by
the time the outage is over (the current winner is "bring up some IPv6
tunnels and then 1:1 NAT your ranges").

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au