[tech] Wheel/Tech Meeting and the File Server Build (Finally)

Sam Moore matches at ucc.asn.au
Mon May 5 18:02:44 WST 2014

The last tech meeting (in which the fileserver was a topic of
discussion) was minuted and sent to tech@ but only saved in a super
secret ultra protected wheel bunker where no mere mortals dare tread.

I've added it to the 2013 committee minutes page:
http://www.ucc.asn.au/infobase/minutes/2013/2013-08-09.tech

I have prepared an Executive Summary (TM) of things and what happened
since then as practice for when I have to do it for my Literature Review
(this is work, I swear):

  - It will be too hot in summer things will die
     - They did
     - [BOB] used his super powers to keep the SAN and Netapp alive
  - We need to get a new file server
     - We did, thanks to [*OX], [BOB], [BG3] (and no thanks to me)
     - We also got another Netapp but no one has set it up
     - People reflected on the possibility of making mirrors
  - Should we replace mussel?
     - Mussel had been crashing a lot (due to issues with Xen on mylah)
     - [SLX], [TPG] and I tried with neomussel/muscle/notsugo/mantis
     - [BOB] just moved mussel to medico (and succeeded)
     - mantis still lives as www.ucc.asn.au though
  - Should we replace mylah? ("we got it out of a public loo")
     - mylah (still) does: SAMBA and NFS forwarding of the SAN/Netapp
     - The file server would replace the SAN/Netapp but not SAMBA
  - PIZZA TIME
     - (It wasn't)
  - Should we migrate to SAMBA 4
     - Kerberos might or might not actually be a thing we want
     - LDAP might be terrible but is it terrible enough?
     - (My favourite quote) "It may be a step backwards"

[DAA] sent some clarifications of things, but at this point you really
know enough to look in the tech@ archives if you care.

Another thing that has pretty much not been talked about anywhere in any
official UCC communication channels was the merging of IRC services with
ECU, Curtin and Murdoch. I believe [LAW], [DAA] and [BG3] sorted that
out on the UCC side.

[SZM]
Who has done nothing of note since the last wheel meeting