[tech] Molmol rebooted

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Nov 8 23:41:58 AWST 2014

OpenVZ containers on Medico weren't working, the website kept dying
because phpBB calls flock(), and many NFS things were unhappy.

This is because the NFS locking daemon (rpc.lockd) on Molmol hung in an
uninterruptible sleep (D state), which is apparently a rare occurrence on
FreeBSD fixable only by reboot. So I did - Molmol was bounced and came up
nicely.

I was moderately impressed with how well pausing all the running VMs and
then rebooting the NFS server worked. After unpausing them, they just kept
running.

[DAA]