[tech] VirtualBox single license

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Nov 10 20:37:29 AWST 2014

On Mon, 10 Nov 2014, Harry wrote:

> To be squeaky commercially compliant I would like to buy a single VirtualBox
> license for a site but Oracle sells 100 seats.

Their FAQ says you should be alright:

"What exactly do you mean by personal use and academic use in the
Personal Use and Evaluation License?

Personal use is when you install the product on one or more PCs
yourself and you make use of it (or even your friend, sister and
grandmother). It doesn't matter whether you just use it for fun or run
your multi-million euro business with it. Also, if you install it on your
work PC at some large company, this is still personal use. However, if you
are an administrator and want to deploy it to the 500 desktops in your
company, this would no longer qualify as personal use. Well, you could ask
each of your 500 employees to install VirtualBox but don't you think we
deserve some money in this case? We'd even assist you with any issue you
might have."

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ

Which looks like a good reading of the actual license to me:

“Personal Use” requires that you use the Product on the same Host
Computer where you installed it yourself and that no more than one client
connect to that Host Computer at a time for the purpose of displaying
Guest Computers remotely.

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/VirtualBox_PUEL

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |