[tech] Kalashnikov upgraded to Precise

Andrew Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Nov 26 22:57:08 AWST 2014

Hi All,

I upgraded Kalashnikov to Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with Mate, as the version that
was on it (natty) was too old to be upgraded and horribly insecure. The
upgrade is a trimslice specific image, so don't go doing release upgrades
on it - leave it on 12.04.

The SOE has mostly been installed, aside from a couple of things like
printers that I kinda need to be there in person to set up.

A couple of issues I hit along the way that might help a future person
re-imaging it:
1. for some reason the ubuntu image doesn't come with 'dialog' installed,
which makes debconf ask for everything verbosely using readline. Install
it with apt-get install and it just works
2. Locales are broken in the image - fix with `locale-gen en_AU.UTF-8'
then `dpkg-reconfigure locales'
3. Another fun fact is that when wget -O fails with a certificate error,
it still creates the destination file, but with zero size. It turns out
this *will* make ldap with ssl difficult to set up.

Andrew Adamson
bob at ucc.asn.au

|"If you can't beat them, join them, and then beat them."                |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |