[tech] ARM 2 revival project

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Sep 24 13:18:06 WST 2014

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:37:53PM +0800, Harry McNally wrote:
> On 24/09/14 11:51, Nick Bannon wrote:
> >Heh. Well, it's an excuse to finally upgrade our ROM burner.  We've got
> >a working one already, it's just plugged into a ISA bus on a 486 running
> >DOS; with a floppy drive and no functional networking.
>
> Is that my programmer or is it only my eraser you have in Snack ? I
> can't remember

Just the eraser. It was on my mind: thanks, I've made an agenda item
about getting one. USD$25 from:
http://www.mcumall.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3204
or apparently a toothbrush steriliser works?

> >Currently choosing between a:
> >   * http://www.conitec.net/english/galep5.php
> >   * ...or a cheapo Chinese TL866A or similar.
>
> Is the ARM2 board UVPROM a 2716 (2K x 8) or bigger ?

Yep, a 2716 exactly. I think we had bigger ones for the snack machine -
27C256's? of which we had a bunch from [DAV].

> If you can programme one of these then no UV erasure needed so quick turnaround:
> http://au.element14.com/atmel/at28c64b-15pu/ic-eeprom-parallel-64k-8k-x-8/dp/1095784
> It would be possible to make up a small adapter board with pins to
> plug into a 2716, 2732, 2764 or whatever socket the board has.

That would be nice...
ATMEL - AT28C64B-15PU - IC, EEPROM PARALLEL 64K (8K x 8)

So they're definitely _not_ pin compatible with a 2716 or a 27C256,
right? but simple rearrangment can fix that?

> A similar solution for snack if you want to hack further on that.
>
> I'm happy to help build this if you think it would be useful.
>
> All the best
> Harry

Lovely!
Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal