[tech] Meersau upgrade & RDP server

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Feb 13 15:01:19 AWST 2015

I upgraded Meersau to Jessie (pre-release Debian 8.0) to test some
things out. I had to remove GNOME 3 in the process, due to a bug with
the acceleration detection[1] that stopped remote access from working.

Meersau is our VM that used to host the thinterms using LTSP (although
I'm pretty sure they haven't booted properly for ages). I installed
xrdp, a Microsoft Remote Desktop (RDP) server on it which works
reasonably well. If you don't need a specific Windows tool, consider
using Meersau for your remote desktop needs instead of Maaxen, which
only has two concurrent users at once.

You do need to SSH tunnel to access Meersau at the moment.

David Adam
UCC Wheel Member
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au

[1]: