[tech] [ucc] Minutes of Meeting on Tuesday, 23rd June 2015

Mitchell Pomery mjpomery at ucc.asn.au
Wed Jun 24 12:13:51 AWST 2015

I didn't get a chance to drop things in before the committee meeting, so
here goes.

There is also information in here that tech should have, mainly in the
Machine technical Reports.

> ##Education Report
> - <Incoherent Gurgling>
> - Planning for camp in progress
>  - Programming competition
> - Considering stuff for special projects grant
>  - 3D printer
>    - General approval
>    - [AMS] to investigate

I can't see a 3d printer being a worthwhile investment. I have talked to
[HTL] and he mentioned one of the liquid 3D printers where you can easily
print overhangs. This may be worthwhile as we can sell prints off to other
clubs (unigames), but coming up with a way of making sure that the printer
doesn't cost us bucketloads should be part of the investigation.

> ##Machine Technical Reports
> ###Servers
> - Kalamari collects a lot of dust
>  - It needs cleaning ocassionally
>  - It is still running super cool
>  - [BG3] to clean Kalamari
>
> ###Network
> - WiFi
>  - Haven't had any reports of issues
>  - Has been working well

Nope. This isn't something that should be an individual persons
responsibility. I've cleaned it recently, but it will need cleaning about
once a month. There's a brush for removing uist on top of kalamari. This
is something nyone can do if they have access to the machine room (wheel
or not).

Also: Power upgrades happened to cameron hall on Saturday the 13th, which
took all UCC services offline for the day. [TPG] and [DAA] did most of the
hard work getting things back up while I supervised (watched).

On Tuesday the 16th, late at night the UPS started beeping. Wednesday
morning it was turned off. In doing this, bitumen was accidentally
rebooted. On coming back up it seems to have decided to not load parts of
its config. I had a look at it and tried to get the config from rancid on
Molmol, but was unable to log into molmol. We ended up plugging the uplink
straight into Murasoi, rather than routing it through bitumen, and [DAA]
was able to ssh in, get to mollitz (backup server) and grab a copy off of
there and get it all working within 15 minutes of getting access.

The uplink is still plugged directly into murasoi. Unless someone has
undone that and not told me (or I missed the IRC message)

We also had an issue with our mailman setup where no emails to the lists
were ending up in recipients inboxes. I discovered this while trying to
email a list and not recieving a copy in my inbox instantly. UWA also had
an unrelated incident where emails from UWA to other providers were being
autoconsidered as spam. Unrelated to anything we do, but it does mean that
a heap of emails from UCC would have been rejected. The issue has been
resolved.

> ###Desktop
> - Clownfish
>  - [BOB] had a look at it
>  - Unsurprisingly, removing Mate repositories helped fix it
>  - Fixed the gnome install
>  - Lock screen works

> ##Drinks and Snacks
> - All hail [JDN]
>  - Snack run to end all snack runs was done

Chiops are ontop of the machine room. I'm going to look at making the
machine room roof more solid, cause keeping snacks up there is nicer than
having a machine room full of snacks. Also we have a step ladder.

I also owe UCC a coke and a mars bar (or dispense credit for them).
Everything was broken and I needed food to help me fix it all.

> ###Guild/SOC
> - Tenancy meeting on July 4th, followed by cleanup
> - Special Projects Grants due sometime in July

I won't be here for the cleanup. I will be several hundred kilometers
away. This should not be new information.

> ###Other Entities
> - FM have finished power works in Cameron Hall
>  - Will be doing data work at some point
>  - Fixed leaks in the roof

See higher for my notes on Power works. There is also another issue that I
need to talk to [GOZ] about to resolve in regards to these works.

> ##Events

> - FREEDOM LAN
>  - Still free
>  - July 4th

People need to know how to set up for this. I can answer questions, but
the wiki should have most of the info. If there is any info that whoever
is running the event thinks needs updating, let me know.

http://wiki.ucc.asn.au/UCCLAN

> - Camp
>  - Meeting tomorrow at 12pm
>  - Survey went out

Meeting happened late last night over teamspeak. We are on track to run a
great event. Buy your tickets from camp.ucc.asn.au

> - Anniversary Dinner
>  - [TJB] to organize

I'm willing to help out with this. I've been looking at various venues
that we can host it and would like to help with the event.

> ##Action Items
> - [BG3] to purchase POE gear, whiteboards and guidewire
>  - Will happen after Exams
>  - Ongoing

Will look at this tomorrow night/this weekend. Guidewire will happen next
weekend when I am in Geraldton.

> - Committee investigating additional Windows machine
>  - [JDN] can buy his specced machine for $1018
>  - Specs will go to tech@ again
>  - [*OX] wants a copy, will buy it off us
>  - [JDN] moves that we budget $2200 to purchase two of the machines he has specced, [LDA] seconds
>    - Passes unanimously
>    - [JDN] to purchase

I would like to see the specs sent to the lists before a purchase is made
(now that exams and assignments are over).

> ##Current Action Items
> - [AMS] to investigate 3D printer
> - [CHS] to send out an email about FREEDOM LAN and Camp
> - [BG3] to purchase POE gear, whiteboards and guidewire
> - [JDN] to purchase new computer parts

There was something I wanted to add to Action items but I forgot what it
was.

Regards,
Mitchell Pomery

OCM and IPP 2015