[tech] [wheel] Added murasoi to the NTP pool

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 21 19:32:37 AWST 2016

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016, David Adam wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Dec 2016, James Andrewartha wrote:
> > There's a big increase in queries to the NTP pool at the moment, so to
> > help out I added murasoi to it: http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores/130.95.13.1
> > It's not yet active in the pool, but by the morning there will be a big
> > increase in incoming NTP traffic, which UWA might notice, particularly if
> > it melts their firewall. I've set the bandwidth to a notional 10Mbps.
>
> Any reason not to send this to tech@?
>
> https://lwn.net/Articles/701222/ is a great recent article summarising the
> strain on the system. In particular, DNS and pool servers are in demand.
>
> I think it's a reasonable thing for us (and the University) to do - I see
> time.uwa isn't in the pool.

As we have working IPv6 again, I've also added murasoi's IPv6 address:
http://www.pool.ntp.org/scores/2405:3c00:5200:100::1

At 10Mbps, over about 5 days, there were about 1.9bn requests, which works
out to be north of 4000 requests per second. I've since increased the
netspeed to 100Mbps, however traffic levels will be dropping as iOS users
update Snapchat (which was the source of the traffic) to a version that
doesn't poll NTP servers around the world. More details are at
https://community.ntppool.org/t/recent-ntp-pool-traffic-increase/18

The servers are currently managed under my work account, but it's pretty
set and forget, all you can do is set the netspeed or delete them. Worst
case if they need to be transferred to an account with a UCC email address
is I can delete them then they can be added to the new account.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |