[tech] Purchase of Peripherals for UCC Desktop Machines 2016-07-17

jordan meerwald jmeerjt11 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 22 10:10:42 AWST 2016

The monitors I bought last time were Dell P2414H's, which is a 16:9 non-ultrasharp version of the U2412M's we have on most linux machines.
The key things we need on monitors is height adjustment so people don't need to stack books under them and the ability to attach the security bolt to the back. An exposed VESA mount is all this needs (though we have to drill through the back to get to it on the Dell monitors). Some people in the room code in portrait orientation so being able to rotate vertically is nice too but isn't a necessity. IPS is nice and the increased viewing angle is useful for onlookers in the room.

Freesync is open source but only compatible with AMD GPUs. G-SYNC is proprietary to nvidia and requires a chip in the monitor which limits models available and adds cost. There aren't any 16:10 G-SYNC monitors.

>From reviews I've seen the jump from 60 Hz to 75Hz is far more of a noticeable improvement than going from 75 to 120/144 Hz, so it could well be worth it even without G-SYNC.

I own a steelseries sensei and the scroll wheel is FITH. This is apparently a common problem hardware problem with some steelseries mice and while it is DIY fixable, the base screws are under the footpads so you need to buy replacement pads everytime you open it.