[tech] 10G switch

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 25 18:59:33 AWST 2017

On Tue, 25 Apr 2017, Andrew Adamson wrote:

> [TRS] suggested an Ubiquiti EdgeSwitch16 - XG, available for around
> $870 from
> http://www.citytechnology.com.au/store/edgeswitch-fiber-es-16-xg-10gig-rj45-sfp-plus-ubiquiti-australia
> or http://ubwh.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=475
>
> The ubiquiti switch has 4 RJ-45 ports and 12 SFP+ ports. If we want to use
> the SFP+ ports, we would have to buy some 10G direct-attach-copper (DAC)
> cables at around $100 per cable. We may or may not have to use SFP+ yet,
> depending on which 10G cards we get for the servers - though with only 4
> RJ-45 ports and the need for an uplink on at least one of those ports, I
> suspect we will need at least one or two.

Further discussion from IRC: DAC Twinax cables can be had for under $20ea
at http://www.fs.com/c/generic-10g-sfp-dac-1115

I have (some courtesy of AzzKikr) 10Gb PCIe cards available which we can
use in servers, and possibly some DAC cables too. Some of the cards may be
XFP, but I can provide modules and fibre for them, I'll confirm tomorrow.

You can get SFP+ 10GBASE-T modules, but they are new and expensive ($US300
is the cheapest I can find):
http://www.sfpcables.com/sfp-copper-transceiver-10gbase-t-cat-6a-7-30m-sfp-10g-sr

So I think the Ubiquiti switch offers a good mix of technologies based on
current pricing.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |