[tech] Cron <backups at mollitz> /backups/bin/rdiff-manager/rdiff-manager.py (fwd)

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 9 21:22:06 AWST 2017

Backups for molmol have been failing for the last month or so as the
backup server (Mollitz) does not have enough space.

I am planning to drop the backups of /away in order to maintain the
backups of things that actually matter, like /services.

Mollitz has four 2 TB drives in it. Three of them are RAID-5ed to make a
4 TB array using the hardware RAID and an ext4 filesystem, and the
fourth is a single RAID-0 which has a ZFS pool on it. (The ZFS pool uses
compression, which means it can store a bit more data.)

At some stage, we could delete the array and redo it so that it has a
RAID-5 using all four drives, but that involves losing all the data on the
array so I have been avoiding it.

David Adam
zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au