[tech] [Tech] Coke machine fault

Andrew Adamson bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 11 20:32:25 AWST 2017

Hi All,

I had a look at this tonight along with the other Monday night hardware
hackers. It looks like the condenser fan has worn out again, which
explains the slight grinding noise it is making. This is not surprising
given is has over 50,000 hours on it since it was last replaced in May
2012.

To be clear, this might not be what is making it trip, but it's likely,
and it needs replacing regardless. It's a bit of a task finding a fan for
it because the machine runs at 100VAC internally, plus if I recall
correctly the dimensions were a bit weird. Looking through my emails, the
motor we bought back in 2012 was an ELCO NUT6B09PUN308. I know a little
bit more about fans now; it would be good to replace it with something
from a good brand like Papst, which would likely outlive the machine. This
is a Good Thing, since you have to dismantle the whole damn machine to
replace it. Side note to anyone trying to pull out the refrigeration
module without pulling out the drink stacks: don't, it will bend/break
the pipes.

The machine is running for now - if it trips the breaker more than once in
a day (or is sounding particularly bad when turned back on), I suggest it
gets unplugged,labelled, and left off until we replace the fan.

Andrew Adamson
bob at ucc.asn.au

|"If you can't beat them, join them, and then beat them."                |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |