[tech] SMTP Auth Failure

gozzarda at ucc.asn.au gozzarda at ucc.asn.au
Wed Aug 1 21:30:22 AWST 2018

Hi all,

For a while now I have been unable to authenticate when trying to
connect via SMTP.
I finally had a chance to dig in a bit today to try figure this out and
found that my auth attempt is getting as far as saslauthd, which is
reporting that it is failing to connect to the LDAP server.
I am somewhat uninformed about the details of our migration to AD, and
even less so about specifically how it is wired into SASL auth, but this
error seems particularly indirect to me.
My best uneducated guess is that it is failing through to some old
wiring to try hit LDAP, and should not even be getting that far, but I
am at a loss for what to poke next.
Suggestions for pokable targets are much appreciated, as is background
information on how we have wired SMTP auth in general.

Cheers,
Gozz

P.S: The issue may affect other users, but it is difficult to
distinguish between a mistyped password and this issue, so I can't be
sure who or how many or if I am alone in being unable to send email.
P.P.S: In case anyone was going to ask, this email was sent through
roundcube, which still works absolutely fine.