[tech] Proposed new parts to replace Porcupine

bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au bob at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Aug 18 13:35:36 AWST 2018

Hi Felix,

Thanks for putting this together. To start with, it's great that we can
re-use some of those parts. I do think the budget is pretty low for this
though - we've previously spent around $1100-1200 on a machine, and given
the current bank balances, I see no reason to skimp (even if we do end up
replacing maltair). With a more reasonable budget, we can sit a little bit
ahead of the curve with this machine, and it will hold up better over 5
years.

CPU first: The spec looked good, but the ebay item you linked has ended,
and I couldn't see another for under $500. A $365 alternative could be an
i5 which actually benchmarks slightly higher than the i7 anyway:
https://www.ple.com.au/Products/629393/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-36GHz-Coffee-Lake-9MB-No-HSF-Retail-Box

Is there any reason you didn't look at AMD? From what I can tell, the
Ryzen 7 2700 is more powerful than either of the suggested intel chips,
isn't susceptible to spectre/meltdown, and is in the same ballpark price
($379)
https://www.ple.com.au/Products/631478/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700-32Ghz-20MB-AM4-Retail-Box---With-Wraith-Spire-LED-Cooler-

RAM: ram is ram. Get whatever suits the mobo, but get at least 16GB, so
$220

SSD: tricky to decide this without knowing what machine this hardware will
end up in. If linux, size is less of an issue, but it would be really nice
to get a blazing fast M.2 SSD. If windows, it needs to be at least
1TB...and it would be really nice to get a blazing fast M.2 SSD, but that
puts us over the $500 mark for one that is faster than SATA3. My M.2
option is then $273 http://www.msy.com.au/waonline/m2-ssd/21322-samsung-970-evo-mz-v7e500bw-500gb-m2-ssd-solid-state-drive.html
and my windows/SATA option is $309 https://www.ple.com.au/Products/630704/Crucial-MX500-1TB-SATA-25-7mm-SSD

Mobo: I'm not sure what the issue with Realtek LAN is? I also went for
something with a USB-C port (even my work laptop has it these days), $145:
https://www.ple.com.au/Products/632874/ASRock-B450M-Pro4-AM4-mATX-Desktop-Motherboard-
...or an intel mobo to suit the i5, $129
https://www.ple.com.au/Products/631567/Gigabyte-B360M-D3H-LGA1151-CL-mATX-Desktop-Motherboard

Totals, keeping in mind the AMD benchmarks higher:
Linux AMD total: $1017
Linux Intel total: $987
Windows AMD total: $1053
Windows Intel total: $1023

Andrew Adamson
bob at ucc.asn.au

|"If you can't beat them, join them, and then beat them."                |
| ---Peter's Laws                                                        |