[tech] Domain Migration

David Adam zanchey at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 13 19:58:59 AWST 2018

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, coffee wrote:
> Hi all,
> Today I went ahead and began migrating most of our machines to the new
> domain at: ad.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
> Machines migrated include:
>      - All of the desktops in the clubroom
>      - motsugo
>      - merlo
>      - molmol (can lookup users but logins are not working)
>      - musdea (same issue as molmol)
>
> Most of these have been migrated without any issues and users should not
> notice any significant changes after the migration, however wheel
> members should note that the wheel group is now gid 512. Additionally,
> the two freebsd machines, molmol and musdea do not currently work with
> domain logins (likely either and issue with user mapping or the pam config).

Hi Zack

Awesome work.

What's the domain controller? It looks like Molmol at this stage, but it
might be better to have a different primary controller because there are
apparently Issues[1] doing file serving and domain controlling from the
same machine.

[1]:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_an_Active_Directory_Domain_Controller#Using_the_Domain_Controller_as_a_File_Server

A reasonable replacement might be a new VM or using Samson, or
alternatively a machine we don't serve files from.

[DAA]