[tech] Upgrading 802.11 infrastructure

trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun May 20 22:10:30 AWST 2018

On Sat, 19 May 2018, Felix von Perger wrote:

> The committee is investigating the possibility to upgrade the UCC's wifi infrastructure in Cameron Hall.
>
> Currently, wifi is almost non-functional and it appears that most people who would need to connect to the UCC network wirelessly
> end up using ethernet cables. The devices in use include coromandel (the 2.4/5GHz device in the clubroom), sharpchin (2.4GHz
> routerboard device in UniSFA) and abe (identical routerboard device in UWAnime).
>
> The budget for the upgrades will be approximately $500. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

I would suggest going with Ubiquity Unifi, specifically a nanoHD for UCC
and two AC-Lites for the other clubrooms. This will slightly break the
budget at $517, but the nanoHD is newer and better than the AC-Pro, in
particular features a 4x4 MU-MIMO 5GHz radio but only requires 802.3af
power since it has a 2x2 2.4GHz radio (which is fine because the 2.4GHz
spectrum is crap in Cameron Hall and in general).

https://unifi-nanohd.ubnt.com specs at the bottom.

I am able to come by Friday evening (25 May, GDPR day) with my array of
wireless diagnostic tools from work to perform some surveying and
explanations on the basics of 802.11 wireless for those interested.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |