[tech] Koha is Down

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Oct 25 12:10:28 AWST 2018

Hi, all! Blair and I had a look yesterday and chatted with discord.
It's still very important to me to get the librarian and hopefully some
newer members involved, though.

Simon: I don't think my messages are always going straight through -
  can I check that with you?

Katherine: Can you log into UCC machines like mussel or
  motsugo/ssh.ucc.asn.au ? with SSH?

Blair and I tested some things:
  * Koha front page (before logins, fresh browser, no cookies)
    * http://unisfa-koha.ucc.asn.au/
    * you can run multiple instances and it seems to keep track of which
      one and login status, then you'll start to see the broken pages
  * DB login works: mariadb --user=kohaadmin -p koha
  * DB login works: https://secure.ucc.asn.au/phpmyadmin/
  * SSH login to the unisfa-koha VM works
    * https://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Commands_provided_by_the_Debian_packages
    * /etc/cron.daily/koha-common -- Daily housekeeping tasks for all Kohas.
    * koha-list
	koha_testing
	unisfa
	unisfa_broken_20180505
	unisfa-cactus
    * koha-disable unisfa_broken_20180505
    * One off attempt at dump/backup produced errors and failed: koha-dump unisfa
===
Dumping Koha site unisfa:
* DB to /var/spool/koha/unisfa/unisfa-2018-10-24.sql.gz
mysqldump: Got error: 1932: Table 'koha.sessions' doesn't exist in
engine when using LOCK TABLES
* configs, logs to /var/spool/koha/unisfa/unisfa-2018-10-24.tar.gz
Done.
===

It looks like the problem could be there: there is _something_ visible in
the schema as a table "sessions", but accessing it results in:
#1932: Table 'koha.sessions' doesn't exist in engine

TODO: Clear or reset the sessions?
TODO: Compare the following, what has recent changes/data in it:
  * koha->koha
  * koha->koha_broken_20180505
  * koha->koha_testing

Also, from the https://secure.ucc.asn.au/phpmyadmin/ interface, there is
some warning text:
The phpMyAdmin configuration storage is not completely configured, some
extended features have been deactivated. Find out why.
Or alternately go to 'Operations' tab of any database to set it up there.
The configuration file now needs a secret passphrase (blowfish_secret).

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 06:59:04PM +1030, Blair Johnson wrote:
> Something important to remember is that UniSFA has a UCC account that could
> be used to manage the VM, [...]

It exists and could be convenient for this. (though please do keep
UCC updated with who the regular contacts are) If you're having login
troubles, we can reset the password or shell, which I believe Autumn
mentioned to Blair. We can do that when a UniSFA committee member is
around. UCC uses https://www.passwordstore.org/ as its shared "vault".

> Like I said, backups should be generated automatically, however I think
> previously when we've attempted a roll-back there's been issues with files
> that don't get removed that need to be removed. It's doable, but not
> straight forward so I need to have another look at that so we have a
> workflow in place.
>
> As for what to try next: if you can access the database then I recommend
> trying to clear up the errors that have shown up. I think they're the
> result of a version change but I'm not entirely sure. Start with the
> database, and if that goes nowhere then start looking at the Koha server/VM.
>
> Cheers,
> Blair

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal