[tech] Permissions for publishing minutes & website stuff

Felix von Perger frekk at ucc.asn.au
Wed Apr 3 22:41:22 AWST 2019

Hi all,

Regarding committee permissions and publishing minutes - there are a
couple of things I've noticed that break stuff in various ways.

Firstly, the minutes archive under
/services/http/infobase/committee/YYYY/ is generally owned by group
committee. Unfortunately the way the staticgen ucc-parser script works,
it requires write permissions for either the webservices user or the
webmasters group to generate the static site pages.

Whilst committee can edit/update pages under that directory, the content
displayed on the website won't be able to update (since it can't write
to committee-group owned files). Changing the group ownership to
webservices fixes the display/staticgen issue, but then committee can no
longer write to the relevant files. Catch 22.

My suggestion at this point is to either add the committee group to
webmasters outright (as either a temporary or permanent fix), or to
configure a separate committee-owned, web-accessible archive (something
that was in the works last year), where the minutes could go instead.

Best regards,

- [FVP]