[tech] Machine Inventory Server

Alastair Irvine alastair at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue Apr 23 20:57:35 AWST 2019

On Sat, 13 April, 2019 at 11:46:43AM +0800, Andrew Adamson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I noticed that people were manually checking the specifications of
> desktops in the clubroom, so I decided to resurrect the old ocsinventory
> system that UCC used to have. For those of you who don't know,
[snip]
> There were a fair few intermediate or repeated steps above, including a
> throwaway VM for the initial attempt at setting it up and testing with a
> very small group of computers.

Hi, Bob.  Thanks for this!

I reckon that a shorter version of this would be of interest to the
broader membership.  What do you think?  I'm prepared to summarise
it.

Also, would you be interested in giving a talk on this, possibly
including a demo, to the Information Technology Professionals
Association?  ITPA meetings are held on the 1st Tuesday of each
month at roughly 6pm.  https://www.meetup.com/SAGE-AU-WA/

--
... "It's amazing how complete is the illusion that beauty is goodness."
                                       -- Leo Tolstoy