[tech] Dead disk in Molmol

Bob Adamson bob at ucc.asn.au
Sun Mar 3 15:21:02 AWST 2019

Hi All,

I think we should look for something a bit more enterprisey for this task,
since it is such a critical component - this machine hosts a lot of club and
member VM storage, as well as clubroom desktop home directories. Given the
issues we seem to be having with speeds, I don't think we should skimp on
disks this time around.

This page, though from 2014, details how we might check the performance of
SSD's as a Ceph journaling device, which (aiui) uses synchronous writes
similar to the requirements of NFS on ZFS:
https://www.sebastien-han.fr/blog/2014/10/10/ceph-how-to-test-if-your-ssd-is
-suitable-as-a-journal-device/ . The results are somewhat scant, but what is
apparent is the order of magnitude in speed difference between consumer and
enterprise SSDs for this use.

Despite having many bays on the front, molmol only supports 8 SAS disks, 2
SATA3 disks, and 4 SATA2 disks. The 8 SAS ports are taken up by spinning
disks at the moment, and the 2 SATA3 ports are used by the system/SLOG
disks. There's really no point in using the SATA2 ports due to their speed.
The mobo is a supermicro x9srh-7tf , so it has 1xPCIe 3.0 x16 slot and
1xPCIe 3.0 x8 slot. Given that the mobo has 10G ethernet onboard, I think
both of those slots should be free. The case itself is 2RU, so we could
support 2 low profile PCIe SSD cards.

Anyway, what I'm thinking is to replace the failing system disk with another
similar SSD, then chuck a single, fast, PCIe SSD in it for the SLOG and
L2ARC only. If it fails, aiui we don't have a corrupt file system, we just
lose the last 5 seconds of data (correct me if I'm wrong here?). This is
based on a few google results, like
https://utcc.utoronto.ca/~cks/space/blog/solaris/ZFSSLOGLossEffects

$409 plus delivery for an Intel Optane 900P:
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard-Drives-&-SSDs/SSD-2.5-&-PCI-Express
/70481-SSDPED1D280GASX

Plus $90 to replace the failed system disk with a 250GB 860EVO:
https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Hard-Drives-&-SSDs/SSD-2.5-&-PCI-Express
/71382-MZ-76E250BW

$15 delivery
$514 total

Thoughts?

I'm happy to order it, just approve it at a committee meeting (or outside of
one via circular) and let me know.

Thanks, Bob