[tech] Serial terminals in the hallway - PS/2 keyboard needed

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Mar 17 19:24:42 AWST 2019

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:43:43PM +0800, Nick Bannon wrote:
[...]
> https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/DEC_VT510

The good news: the terminal is now mounted on a fit-for-purpose? shelf
as part of a 19" rack which needed a home, as of yesterday's cleanup.

The bad news - although the VT510 takes nice easy-to-find PS/2
keyboards, we couldn't find one to fit the available space. One of our
USB ones does fit, but it may not support PS/2 mode (via an adaptor) -
the correct adaptor or any other 445mm-wide (or narrower) PS/2-capable
keyboard would be very handy.

So, at least temporarily, it's an amber
https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/DEC_VT320
...with our precious narrow keyboard.

It has been reported that it's not working as well as the VT510,
particularly with the fish shell? but if a software fix can't be foudn
easily, a suitable keyboard for the VT510 would be the easy hardware fix.

Having said that, having multiple working terminal ports and/or terminals
would be a great project. The Cyclades TS-1000 PPC terminal server is
in the top of the rack, and it could probably use an ethernet switch, too...

> Software flow control, so 9600bps it is for now.

...which might be one way get a properly wired cable with hardware
flow control.

> There's also a HP small-form-factor PC, it's not booting (or netbooting)
> anything interesting right now.

Possible PSU issue?

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal