[tech] Tech/Wheel Meeting 2021-05-02 14:00 - One week reminder

root root at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Apr 25 14:00:01 AWST 2021

Tech/Wheel Meeting Agenda - Sunday 2021-05-02 14:00
- VENUE: UCC Clubroom
  - and online at https://meetings.ucc.asn.au/b/bob-yrk-uy6

*Meeting opened XX:XX*

## Attendance
- Present:
- Apologies
- Absent

## Next meeting
- Schedule next meeting
  - xxxday 2021-yy-yyTzz:zz
    - back to paced schedule, let's have more doing than talking?
  - ACTION: xxx: Set and verify reminders of next meeting: `motsugo# crontab -e`
    - Update the agenda, update the crontab, check at T-7days that the notice really went out
    - skip the `4day` , unless there's issues at `1week`
- Curate agenda.next

## Optional items - choose at the start of the meeting
- Ethical guidelines
  - New members, recruitment focused meeting: https://www.ucc.asn.au/infobase/policies/regulations_20180926.ucc#wheel_ethics
  - Ethics w/r/t reports of potential password breaches
- Monitoring
- Backups
- Password rotations
- New members
- Quick check of ChangeLog
- Lessons learnt
  - preference for packaged services:
    - not easy to keep gitlab, bigbluebutton, etc. current
  - configuration management is is how we can show, collaborate, replicate
    - both the basic services and the exceptions

## Known Broken Stuff
- lard
    - At 21:26 last night, UCC dropped off the face of the Internet
    - Lard's PSU failed (we think) and took out whole comms. room circuit
    - At 22:44, [DAS] saved the day (night) by pulling out the dodgy PSU, and plugging into the other one, whilst also bypassing the rack's PDU
    - lard promptly lit up following this, and comms came back online
    - Perhaps we should look at replacing lard with something a little... leaner?
- gitlab CVE-2021-22185 CVE-2021-22186?
- https://ocsinventory.ucc.asn.au/ocsreports/
  - depends on mussel MySQL/MariaDB
  - need something like it to tell us what's broken/out-of-date
- samson the https://wiki.ucc.asn.au/ActiveDirectory server has no freshly built DC friends
  - this is risky, a single-point-of-failure, which in turn depends on the running VM cluster
  - something to do with the current configuration is probably why mussel
    and mooneye still have auth problems
    - can we upgrade or rebuild or document our way out of this?
  - ...so making a quick clone and calling it "done" really isn't enough, continuous integration is called for?
  - vucc testbed in https://wiki.ucc.asn.au/NewActiveDirectory

## Matters arising previously
- ACTION: [MPT] update https://wiki.ucc.asn.au/Network with latest traffic paths

## Extra items (rename/refile as appropriate)
- post-O-Day account locking
  - cleanup accounts e.g. `getent passwd|grep zv`, primary group memberships

- [TEC] Old DELL R710 servers from dadams (just remembered)
  - From the 2018 (I think?) UWA tech throw out
  - Was considering putting in Makers, too hard
  - Would like to be used, so thinking of lending to UCC
  - Would like to keep the option of pulling them out at some point in the future
  - ACTION: [TEC] (or poke [DBA]) to email the lists with tech specs
    - [DBA] Done: https://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/tech/2021-March/005444.html

- Staging storage server:
  - A DELL R710 would do nicely
  - ACTION: [NTU] followup the previously budgetted 3.5" bulk backup drive purchase
    - and email proposal for how we can supplement and overlap with mollitz legacy backups
    - Update: https://lists.ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au/pipermail/tech/2021-March/005446.html

- ACTION: [333] To do up email proposal to tech at ucc to replace Motsugo with the Cisco UCS (or something else), and use Motsugo to replace Mollitz
  - Bulk storage 3.5 inch drive purchase could still be part of this

- [MPT] Began (unofficial) discussions with [DBA] and CS faculty about making GPU compute accessible to students
  - Potential for funding? No assurances yet
  - What else would UCC need to buy/build to make it happen in our MR?

*Meeting closed XX:XX*

----

```
# https://demo.hedgedoc.org/Hlsapf47RsqpgIjqLVfMUw
cd /home/wheel/docs/meetings
HEDGEDOC_SERVER=https://demo.hedgedoc.org /home/wheel/bin/hedgedoc export --md Hlsapf47RsqpgIjqLVfMUw ./$(date +%Y-%m-%d).txt
git commit -am "Wheel meeting minutes $(date +%Y-%m-%d)"
```

<!-- vim: tabstop=2 shiftwidth=2 expandtab
-->
<!-- Local Variables: -->
<!-- tab-width: 2 -->