[ucc-announce] Door Members and Shenton Park Run

Simon Fryer [email protected]
Tue, 14 May 2002 23:22:50 +0800

Bingle

> A while ago Chris Thorp tapped:

> Greetings,
> 	At 1pm on the 18th of May (Next Saturday) a run to Shenton park
> (The UCC's off site storage) will be happening. The main aim will be to
> move Mullet (currently under the stairs) into storage. Also a small
> cleanup of the room (Vacuuming etc.) will happen at the same time.

*Cough Cough* Mackeral, Merman I think is the machine you are thinking of.
Mullet no longer exists.

> Also if you're interested in obscure hardware (and some antiques....well
> mostly antiques) or want to see the famed 'Undersea Cable', this would be
> a great opportunity to see the insides of Shenton Park.

The Undersea Cable still exists... This is news to me. I think you may be
supprised what is actually there and what is not actually there.

Of course there are a lot of other places that can feed an addiction to
old hardware. The Australian Computer Museum Society, dispite being rather
disorganised and inactive has a supprisingly large collection of obscure
hardware. I can provide more information for the people interested.

Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh