[ucc-announce] Minutes for AGM 21st March

Matt Johnston [email protected]
Tue Mar 25 15:39:30 2003

Here're the minutes for the AGM. In summary, committee positions are
as follows:

President - James Andrewartha
Vice President - Susan Hellings
Treasurer - Bernard Blackham
Secretary - Matt Johnston
Fresher Rep - Jeff Saunders
OCMs - Ben Murrihy
     - Davyd Madeley
	 - Grahame Bowland

UCC AGM 21st March 2003

Present:

James Andrewartha   [TRS]
Matt Johnston       [MSH]
Susan Hellings      [SJH]
Adrian Woodley      [AAW]
Stephanie Cooke     [PEN]
Tom Lynch           [FTZ]
Loren Dyer          [MAX]
Stephen Griffiths   [SNG]
Ben Murrihy         [BGM]
Bradley McGrath     [BTM]
Rhys Bevilaqua      [RAB]
Wing Fong Wong      [WFW]
Sophia Papaelias    [FAL]
Chris Bobridge      [MLK]
Jen McCutcheon      [VEL]
Mark Tearle         [MTL]
Adam Wright         [ZEN]
Anne Willie         [ANN]
Brinley Ang         [BRI]
Jeff Saunders       [JFK]
Thomas Castiglione  [TWC]
Grahame Bowland     [GMB]
Andrew Thorburn     [INS]
James Cox           [RME]
Mathew Cole         [MTC]
Brad Wake           [BMW]
Stef Lim            [SCH]
Aaron Alderman      [AJA]
Davyd Madeley       [PXY]
Bernard Blackham    [DAG]
Chris Coman         [TIE]
Nick Bannon         [NTU]
Andrew Williams     [AJW]
David Basden        [DGB]
Tom Pope            [TAP]
Meryki Amaryllis Keturah Horton [NIK]
Matthias Liffers    [MPF]

Apologies:

Simon Fryer         [SAF]
James Bromberger    [JEB]
Oliver Mailes       [OGM]
Nick Rohrlach       [NRR]

Meeting opened 1:04pm

President's Report: [via email read by PXY]

Subject: President's (Lack of) report 2003

Howdy,

I was going to write a report for the AGM tomorrow but didn't count on
working until midnight the last two nights (why didn't I ask for a slack
posting?  :( ).

So... bearing that in mind, I'll leave the VP and Treasurer to do the bulk
of the reporting on the year but would appreciate the following thank yous
being read out.

=======

- Firstly, my thanks to the UCC membership at large for making the 2002
year a pretty good year - the first year of a big upward trend in the club
but by no means something that should not be surpassed.

- My thanks to our Freshers, who have breathed a new life of enthusiasm
into the club and who pressed on despite the usual ridicule and a lack of
projects to work on

- Thanks to the big lot of members who continue to do the background
bits, even though they don't have to - the Wheel group, the coke group and
espeically those who have helped clean up our clubroom - I would list
people but I'd only insult someone by missing them out

- Thanks to the committee who did the little organisational things we so
expect

- Specifically, thanks to Oliver who completely organised the Quiz night
which was a great success, even if he let a Commerce student who couldn't
add up be the scorer

- Thanks to Chris Bobridge for singlehandedly organising the sponsors for
2003 and generally volunteering

- Thanks to Coman for his contributions such as being our resident
political connection and source of gear (pun intended) and for leaving
plenty of space in the room during committee meetings :)

- Thanks to Bernard who did so much including stepping in at the last
minute at the programing competition to tide people over in the delay
before the questions came but most importantly did the sms screen, which
was more of a success than just about anyone could have imagined

- But special thanks has to go to the executive committee members who
contributed in so many ways

- Namely, Matt our esteemed secretary, who did a lot of background systems
work, did many a coke run with Susie and was always around

- Susie, who dispelled the notion that VP is the slack position by
organising a fantastic UCC Camp, which was a great end to the year, and
made a great impact on the club in lots of other ways

- And James.  Who, in the words of his treasurer's report, "did stuff".
We all should feel a little guilty for not thanking him a little more
often.  He hangs around a lot and does a lot.  He deserves his own little
clap.

Good luck for 2003 UCC.  The club has a bigger profile around campus now,
especially thanks to the SMS screen - take advantage of it ... and have
fun.

=======

Nick - who found out that his closest post office (from work) is in the
parliament house (which means I now need to go through a security check
point to buy a stamp)

Vice-president's Report:

    - Bers has said it all, thanks.

Treasurer's Report:

    - Year-to-year, finances have gone from $2847 to $1290
    - However March-to-March, we've gone from $1802 to $3160, a reasonable
      increase

    - We spent ~$3500 on hardware, $1.5k of that was electrical refit, ~$1.5k
      was spend on cybium/meito, $800 on DVD burner (half was donated).

    - Memberships totalled $3000

    - Club is fairly financially secure, and we didn't do any fundraising last
      year

Secretary:

    - Was a good year, the club was boosted by new people hanging around
      the club

SJH moves we suspend standing orders, PXY seconds, motion passed.

MTC and TIE are returning officers

Position of President:

    - MLK nominates TRS, PXY seconds, nomination accepted

    No other nominations, James Andrewartha elected President

Position of Vice President:

    - PXY nominates DAG, MLK seconds
    - TRS nominates SJH, TWC seconds
    - GMB nominates MSH, SJH seconds

    DAG: - Wants to be involved in the club, in an exec role
           [Various praise shouted from the audience]

    SJH: - Organised UCC Camp, it was good, everyone should go this year

    MSH: - Wants to stay involved with committee, was on exec last year
         - PXY asks if honours is an issue, MSH doesn't think so

    Susan Hellings elected Vice President

Position of Treasurer:

    - PXY nominates PEN, SCH seconds
    - GMB nominates DAG, MTL seconds
    - SCH nominates MLK, RAB seconds
    - TWC nominates RME, RPS seconds
    - AJW nominates MSH, SNG seconds

    PEN: - has done accounting, and likes it
         - wants to get involved in the club

    DAG: - ditto from VP speech

    MLK: - was an OCM last year, helped organise UCC Camp, sponsorship
         - will do dispense - rewrite it [laughter from audience]
         - wants to do Risk Management stuff for the club, events etc
         - will do the budget

    RME: - not a Guild Hack, "can stick it to the man"
         - is around the club a lot, evenings and mornings

    MSH: - support the trend of black shirted exec
           [ DAG, SJH, TRS & MSH sitting in a row with black tshirts ]

    TRS says: being Treasurer is a chunk of work, esp doing budget, cashbox,
              coins etc. Is everyone willing?

    SNG says: who has cars for doing coke runs?

    PXY says: Is there a clash with MLK being on Soc? MLK doesn't think so

    Bernard Blackham elected Treasurer

Position of Secretary:

    - FTZ nominates MSH, SJH seconds
    - MTL nominates RME, TWC seconds
    - SNG nominates PEN, AAW seconds, PEN declines
    - DAG nominates PXY, SCH seconds

(DGB, TAP arrive)

    MSH: - Last year turned up, kept minutes, wants to stay about

    RME: - Ditto from above, will remember TLAs, bought "Typing of the Dead"

    PXY: - Has filled in for Secretary occassionally, has done web stuff

    Matt Johnston elected Secretary

Position of Fresher Rep:

    Freshers are:
    SCH - was about last year (1/2 way through), doesn't want the position
    BGM - wants to be involved
    NIK - is kind of fresh, is in wheel
    JFK - is a real fresher
    FAL - doesn't need the position

(MPF arrives)

    PXY asks: how many meetings will people turn up to?

    Jeff Saunders elected Fresher Rep

Positions of Ordinary Committee Member:

    Nominee     Nom. by     Seconded
    PXY         DAG         SCH
    RME         MTL         RPS
    DGB         NIK         MSH
    NIK         DGB         MSH
    GMB         PXY         MSH
    BGM         GMB         SCH
    MLK         FAL         VEL
    INS         TWC         MSH
    TWC         INS         MSH
    MPF         SCH         PEN

    Motion by FTZ that we go to a vote, passed

    Davyd Madeley, Grahame Bowland and Ben Murrihy elected as OCMs

Standing orders resumed

General Business:

Financial Life Memberships:

    TRS Proposes:

    20 years of non-UWA membership is $500, could we set up a term deposit
    or trust to keep financial life memberships?

    Would keep old-guard members involved and paying

    - AJW suggests that annual payment keeps committee accountable, and
      also keeps old-guard involved

    - Currently there are problems with banking - we can't set up
      a direct deposit internet account, as we use Guild banking

    [ Various discussion from all directions, no major progress ]

    GMB moves that it deserves discussion, FTZ seconds, passed.

Presidential Speech by [TRS]:

  - Wants to get rid of the machineroom this year - we need racks
    and air conditioning

    AJW says it is a bad idea - he remembers before the machineroom, and
    thinks stuff will get too hot - ducted aircon doesn't work

    NTU wonders if there will be noise issues with the aircon?

    Decided that we should investigate how well it will work before tearing
    down the machineroom.

  - Projects - everyone always says we should "do more projects", if people
    want to do stuff, poke committee people etc.
    Rebuilding the Davtronics amp is something feasible though.

  - Machines - we should get something new, perhaps an eMac, or possibly
    new server hardware, possibly an Opteron machine?

  - Events - they're planned, should go OK

(Michael Pauley arrives)

Meeting closed 2:12pm