[ucc-announce] Cameron Hall Charity Vigil

Jen McCutcheon velithya at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 13:39:44 WST 2005

Hello everyone! (apologies if you get this multiple times.)

I am here to announce the sixth annual Cameron Hall Charity Vigil.
Since last year's timing worked so well, this year we will be holding
the vigil on the last friday before the study break (that's September
16th) through to the saturday (September 17th). This year we have
changed charities to support the Stand By Me Youth Service, a local
charity that provides a drop-in centre and many programs to support
young people and disadvantaged youth. Last year we raised just over
$2300 - let's see if we can top that this year.

To come along, you need to either

-get a sponsorship form from Unigames, UCC, UniSFA or UWAnime (they
should be available tomorrow) and collect at least $8 sponsorship

OR (the wimp option)

-pay $10 at the door (of course more substantial donations are always welcome)

Of course the point is to raise money for charity, so you should all
choose the first option. In addition, there will be a prize for the
person who raises the most money for charity! (Note that anyone who
sponsors themselves $8 for the purposes of saving themselves $2 will
be subject to much scorn. And made to read very, very bad fanfic.)

We'd like to add in an additional plea here. Please try your hardest
to raise as much sponsorship as possible. We really want to beat last
year's total, and when you think about it, something like $20 is only
$2 from 10 people. And if you can get the first person to sponsor you
$5, everyone else is likely to sponsor you $5 as well. :P

Activities during the night will include (subject to finalisation):

-Movies and Anime! Two screens of the bets pop culture money can
download or rent. Either in the UWAnime or UniSFA clubroom, depending
on your choice of poison.
-LAN gaming! Bring your computer, LAN cable and headphone (these are
very important) to the loft and join the fun. We are working on
providing some spare boxes to be used by those without computers, so
keep your ears out for further announcements on this.
-Board games! If you suck at anything requiring skill, someone might
bring Snakes And Ladders if you wish hard enough, and Unigames does
have Hungry Hungry Hippos.
-Console games! UCC has a gamecube, and there are rumours of other
consoles being present as well. Stay tuned for updates.
-Food. And Drink. Entry includes pizza for dinner and muffins for
breakfast. The fridges and machines of all three clubs will also be
open for business, with all profits going to charity. Tea, coffee and
milo will also be available.

We would like to thank Madman Entertainment and the Co-op Bookshop for
generously providing prizes for our raffle and for the person raising
the most sponsorship.

Please remember that the Cameron Hall Charity Vigil is a strictly
alcohol free, drug free, sleeping free event.

And a final plea from the Vigil subcommittee: being stuck minding the
door for 6 hours between 1 and 7am is really really boring. Could I
have a few volunteers email me off list who would be willing to sit on
the door for an hour? This would really help share the load around and
let everyone be involved during the night.

So, collect your sponsorship forms from tomorrow afternoon and start
raising money!

See you there,

Vigil subcommittee
Jennifer McCutcheon