[ucc-announce] Minutes of the 2005 Annual General Meeting (and announcement of the 2005 committee)

Davyd Madeley davyd at madeley.id.au
Tue Mar 22 19:38:43 WST 2005

University Computer Club AGM 2005
Tuesday March 22nd, 13.00pm
Guild Council Meeting Room, Guildhall, UWA

Minutes taken by DAG (2004 Secretary)
    annotated by PXY (2005 Secretary)

=== In Brief ===

 President:	 DAG  Bernard Blackham
 Vice President: TRS  James Andrewartha
 Treasurer:	 MSH  Matt Johnston
 Secretary:	 PXY  Davyd Madeley
 Fresher Rep:	 ABP  Byron Pogson
 OCMs:		 RPS  Craig Williams
		 SJH  Susie Hellings
		 JCF  James French

=== In Full ===

AGM opened Tue Mar 22 13:07:28 WST 2005

Present:
 DAG  Bernard Blackham
 PXY  Davyd Madeley
 TRS  James Andrewartha
 MSH  Matt Johnston
 SJH  Susan Hellings
 RME  James Cox
 GMB  Grahame Bowland
 VEL  Jen McCutcheon
 JFK  Jeff Saunders
 INS  Andrew Thorburn
 NVS  Lionel Pryce
 EVN  Evan Beasley
 LGM  Alex Dawson
 ABP  Byron Pogson
 TIM  Tim DeHeaume
 INF  Jason Doan
 TOB  Toby Moore
 JCF  James French
 ZOE  Zoe Wadsworth
 NTU  Nick Bannon
 DGB  David Basden
 MPF  Matthias Liffers
 MTL  Mark Tearle
 RPS  Craig Williams
 BGM  Ben Murrihy
 PDA  Paul Andinach
 AJT  Adrian Tiong
 LAT  Trent Lloyd (via IRC)
 ZAR  Alwyn Nixon-Lloyd (via IRC)
      Andrew Bailey
      Michael Deegen (via IRC)
 TDH  David Manchester (via IRC)

Apologies:
 SAF  Simon Fryers

President's Report (SJH)
------------------------
 - In 2004, we had a 30th dinner which was a great success. Thanks
   to Indulus for a really groovy presentation.
 - We have the final piece of the fileserver! *applause*
 - Camp was successful
 - Did half the vending machine project. It's a software problem
   now.
 - Overall a pretty successful year.

VP's Report (MSH)
-----------------
 - Was a good year.

Treasurer's Report (RME)
------------------------
 - Good financial year
 - Bought dual Opteron, eMac.
 - 30th dinner. Broke even, thanks to Swan grants.
 - Have $4400 in bank. Bills up to date.

Secretary's Report
------------------
 - Also had a good year.
 - Lots of projects progressing.

SJH move to suspend standing orders. TRS seconds. Motion passed.

LGM and EVN nominated returning officers.

Presidential Nominations
------------------------

PXY nominated DAG. Seconded by MSH.
DAA nominates RME. Seconded by INF.
MSH nominates SJH. Seconded by RPS.

DAG: Ex-secretary. Vote for me.
RME: Treasurer last year. Club is good.  Vote for me.
SJH: President this year. Did a good job.  Vote for me.

JFK: how to deal with cold war between gamers and non-gamers.

DAG: Will keep in check.
RME: On gamers side. Needs representation.
SJH: Neutral. Will mediate between the two.

NVS: How long will you guys be in the club room?

DAG: 70% of daylight hours-ish?
RME: lots in 1st semester.
SJH: objects to TV, but will run the club from UniSFA.

DAA: Whats your strategic direction for the club?

DAG: Raise awareness on campus.
RME: Ditto. Good money
SJH: Ditto. diversification.

PXY: Do you intend to get us off the official list of UDS's three
enemies?

DAG: Until they start a war, does it matter?
RME: Will shout.
SJH: Cousin is ex-VP of UDS. Will chat.

<Andrew Bailey> ponders asking stance on using club resources for
illegal activity?

DAG: Is bad.
RME: Officially not tolerated. Policy is always very strict.
SJH: Shouldn't do anything to draw attention to club. Shouldn't
     bittorent.

 - DAG elected President -

Vice Presidential Nominations
-----------------------------

DAA nominates RME. Seconded by RPS.
GMB nominates SJH. Seconded by BGM.
PXY nominates TRS. Seconded by JCF.
RME nominates RPS. Seconded by INF.
MSH nominates PXY. Declined.
SJH nominated DAA. Declined.
SJH nominates DJB. Seconded by JCF.
DAG nominates MSH. Declined.

RME: ditto.
SJH: has been VP already.
TRS: He's old (here since 2000). Done everything. Been everywhere.
RPS: Will mediate between the internal divide in UCC.
DJB: Will make pi = 3.

???: What do to about gamers?

RME: as before
SJH: as before
TRS: mmmm.
RPS: will represent all equally.
DJB: Half of wheel used to be mudders. Will assimilate.

NVS: RPS, if your VP of two clubs, does that mean twice the amount
     of drinking?
RPS: Yes.

ZOE: RPS, can you handle being on ctte of UCC, Unisfa & UniGames?
RPS: Yeah, easy to deal with.

 - TRS elected Vice President (and refuses to let go of SATA card) -

Treasurer Nominations
---------------------

SJH nominates MSH. Seconded by PXY.
JFK nominates RME. Seconded by ICF.
DAA nominates PXY. Declined.
MTL nominates SJH. Declined.
MTL nominates RPE. Seconded by MSH.

MSH: Been on committee for past few years. Can count.
RME: Did it last year. Knows how to conscript people into doing those
     various chores.
RPS: Can operate a calculator. Been around.

???: Will there be money set aside to replace larts with axes, RPS?
RPS: Maybe.

VEL: ???
RME: ???

NTU: Report the balance every meeting?

MSH: yes
RPS: absolutely.
RME: yeah.

LAT: Will the cash box be emptied and sorted every 1-2 weeks?

RME: Will do when he's around. Been working.
  DAA points out this is not a witch hunt and he must put hands
  inside people in 15 minutes.
RPS: Yes.
MSH: Yes, or enlist TRS or DAG.

LGM: Please add together numbers from 1 to 5.
MSH: 15.

 - MSH elected Treasurer -

Secretarial Nominations
-----------------------

MTL nominates DJB. Seconded by ICF.
TOB nominates DAA. Declined.
JCF nominates PXY. Seconded by TRS.
MSH nominates SJH. Seconded by ZOE.
MSH nominates ZOE. Seconded by DAA.
ZAR nominates RPS. Seconded by DJB.
<Andrew Bailey> nominates GMB. Declined.

DJB: Is good.
PXY: Been around. Written 2 freshers guide. Wrote a website, but now
     it's gone. *ANGST* Will be fantastic whatever he is.
 MPL points out that this means PXY will do it anyway.
SJH: Can keep minutes. Has a laptop. Yeah.
ZOE: Kept minutes for UniSFA, will hang around.
RPS: Can type. Can keep minutes. Evidently qualified.

VEL: ZOE, Will it infringe on your UniSFA committee time?
ZOE: No. 3/4 load. Will be in and around.

JCF: Will the minutes be posted the same day?
PXY: Yes!

RME: Will you go chasing after money?
PXY: Seen his letter to the guild?
ZOE: Been doing it lots too.
SJH: Writes letters to people all day everyday, it's my job.

DAA: How commas are there in the sentence - "She sat alone on a bench
     by the river" [Ed. this is how DAG transcribed it, notice the #
     of commas]
PXY: At the most, 1.
SJH: 2
DJB: None
ZOE: Depends.
RPS: Question was poorly phrased. Decline to answer.

ZAR: How will you make the clubroom an appealing place for all members?
???: Not secretary's job.

 - PXY elected Secretary -

Fresher Representative Nominations
----------------------------------

 - ABP elected Fresher Rep by default -

Ordinarily Committee Member Nominations

ICF nominates JCF. Seconded by PXY.
MTL nominates DAA. Declined.
SJH nominates ZOE, Seconded by DJB.
GMB nominates RPS. Seconded by DAG.
SJH nominates ZAR. Seconded by DAG.
PXY nominates SJH. Seconded by ZOE.
INS nominates RME. Seconded by DAG.
DJB nominates GMB. Declined.

 - RPS, SJH, JCF elected Ordinary Committee Members -

Standing Orders reinstated.
Returning Officer hands over to the new chair, DAG.

MTL moves to close meeting. TRS seconds. Meeting Closed.

AGM closed at Tue Mar 22 14:09:47 WST 2005

--
Davyd Madeley              http://www.davyd.id.au/

PGP Fingerprint <http://www.davyd.id.au/pgp/>
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA