[ucc-announce] Announcing the Cameron Hall Charity Vigil

Jen McCutcheon velithya at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Fri Aug 18 12:14:43 WST 2006

Hello everyone! (apologies if you get this multiple times.)

I am here to announce the seventh annual Cameron Hall Charity Vigil. Since
last year's timing worked so well, this year we will be holding the vigil
on the last friday before the study break (that's September 8th) through
to the saturday (September 9th). We will be supporting the same charity as
last year, the Stand By Me Youth Service, a local charity that provides a
drop-in centre and many programs to support young people and disadvantaged
youth. Last year we raised just over $1800 - let's see if we can top that
this year.

To come along, you need to either

-get a sponsorship form from Unigames, UCC, UniSFA or UWAnime (they should
be available this afternoon) and collect at least $8 sponsorship

OR (the wimp option)

-pay $10 at the door (of course more substantial donations are always
welcome)

Of course the point is to raise money for charity, so you should all
choose the first option. In addition, there will be a prize for the person
who raises the most money for charity! (Note that anyone who sponsors
themselves $8 for the purposes of saving themselves $2 will be subject to
much scorn.)

We'd like to add in an additional plea here. Please try your hardest to
raise as much sponsorship as possible. We really want to beat last year's
total, and when you think about it, something like $20 is only $2 from 10
people. And if you can get the first person to sponsor you $5, everyone
else is likely to sponsor you $5 as well. :P

Activities during the night will include (subject to finalisation):

-Movies and Anime! Two screens of the best pop culture money can download
or rent. Either in the UWAnime or UniSFA clubroom, depending on your
choice of poison.
-LAN gaming! Bring your computer, LAN cable and headphone (these are very
important) to the loft and join the fun. There will be a few guest boxes
available if you find yourself computer-less on the night.
-Board games! If you suck at anything requiring skill, someone might bring
Snakes And Ladders if you wish hard enough, and Unigames does have Hungry
Hungry Hippos. Talisman and Settlers will also be available.
-Dungeon crawl! Like to beat things to death with an overpowered fighter,
but don't want to spend hours on character creation? Unigames will be
running one-off dungeon crawls for those who are interested.
-Food. And Drink. Entry includes pizza for dinner and pancakes for
breakfast. The fridges and machines of all three clubs will also be open
for business, with all profits going to charity. Tea, coffee and milo will
also be available.

We would like to thank Madman Entertainment and the Co-op Bookshop for
generously providing prizes for our raffle and for the person raising the
most sponsorship.

Please remember that the Cameron Hall Charity Vigil is a strictly alcohol
free, drug free and sleeping free event.

So, collect your sponsorship forms from this afternoon and start raising
money!

See you there,

Vigil subcommittee
Jen