[ucc-announce] UCC News (and Shenton Park Cleanup Announcement)

Davyd Madeley davyd at madeley.id.au
Wed May 10 00:18:09 WST 2006

Ladies and Gentlemen, please stay tuned for...
 _   _  ____ ____   _   _
| | | | |  | |     |  \| |/ _ \ \ /\ / / __|
| |_| | |__| |___  | |\  |  __/\ V  V /\__ \
 \___/ \____\____| |_| \_|\___| \_/\_/ |___/

This fortnight in UCC News:

======================
 Shenton Park Cleanup
======================
As you may (or may not) know: we have to get all of our shit out of
Shenton Park. Every single last bit of it. The UCC committee are looking
for volunteers to come and help them get it all back to Cameron Hall.
Some of it we simply won't be able to continue to store, so it will be
chucked out if you don't rescue it.

Helpers are meeting downstairs below the UCC at 12pm THIS SATURDAY. If
you have a trailer or a ute, please feel free to bring it. We have a
heap of stuff to cart back to HQ. This is the last chance for anyone to
see the Shenton Park facility and what we have (had) stored there. We
hope we'll see you there.

=================
 Mail Forwarding
=================
To comply with UWA ITS policies, we've changed our mail server setup a
little bit. Anyone who is forwarding their UCC mail to another address
will notice we're not forwarding any mail that's labelled as spam by the
central UWA filter - this is probably a good thing, but it does
occasionally make mistakes.

People using procmail should check that their procmailrc files do not
forward anything tagged as spam by ITS to non-UCC addresses - the
management scripts used by ITS flag even on-site mail forwarding.

===============
 Murphy's Lore
===============
Murphy's Lore is UCC's venerable newsletter. A team of dedicated editors
has gotten together to restart Murphy's Lore and is hoping to get an
issue out in this semester. If you think you could write something for
Murphy's Lore (have you got a project you're working on, or a rant that
you want to have) we'll take absolutely everything. Here are some broad
example topics:
 - Computer Programming
 - Electronics
 - Science
 - The Interweb
 - Tips'n'Tricks for System Administration
 - Reviews of Games or Books

We've already got several submissions, but we still need more. If you've
been sitting on your hands, get writing now! This is a great way to
improve your writing for that inevitable thesis or your chance to start
that IT journalism career. We'll really take anything that is sent to us
(as long as you've not ripped it off some other poor sod). To find out
more information subscribe to the lore list:

========
 Events
========
Weekly pizza is still on. Just because it's gotten a bit cold out,
doesn't mean you can't come scoff pizza with us on a Friday night.
Ordering usually happens by 7pm and is often enjoyed with random
projects, and games of ET. Freshers who go home early due to lack of
transport should get in touch with someone (eg. the fresher rep) to see
if we can't figure out how to get people home (assuming you don't live
in Kalamunda, if that's the case, you're stuffed, I'm afraid).

Coming up soon are UCC::Lan 2 (right before exams) and the Zone3-921
(right after exams). More details Real Soon Now (tm).

There are rumours of a joint UniSFA-UCC quiz night in second semester:
trivia buffs stay tuned.

============
 Powercords
============
If you know where our long power cords (extension cables) are, we would
love to know too. Drop us a line, or if you're really embarrassed that
you nicked them without telling anyone, discrete returns will also be
accepted.

==========
 T-Shirts
==========
After 4 years, the UCC has finally gotten it's act together to do a new
T-shirt design. We're still sorting out prices and so forth, but we hope
to start taking preorders within the week. Again, more details as they
come to hand.

You have been reading UCC News, a fortnightly news source for UCC
members. If you would like to help compiling articles for UCC News,
please submit them to the UCC secretary before the UCC committee meeting
every second Tuesday.

--
Davyd Madeley

http://www.davyd.id.au/
08B0 341A 0B9B 08BB 2118  C060 2EDD BB4F 5191 6CDA