[ucc-announce] Usage of UCC's Network

Jeremy Cole astro at jaram.net.au
Mon Mar 16 16:02:14 WST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeremy Cole <astro at jaram.net.au>
Date: Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 3:15 PM
Subject: DRAFT: Usage of UCC's Network
To: committee-only at ucc.asn.au

(wanting to send this to UCC announce and to David FS re the Stargate issue)

Hey Guys,
As of this morning UCC was contacted by ITS warning us that we are in breech
of copyright by people using UCC's network to download copyrighted content.
We would like to remind members and users of our network that we have Terms
and Conditions <http://www.ucc.asn.au/infobase/policies/1995acct.ucc> to
using our network and that we also have to abide by UWA's Network
Policy<http://calendar.publishing.uwa.edu.au/latest/partd/compandsoftwareregs>.
We ask that members update themselves with these policies as UWA does
provide UCC with with its internet connection. Below is a copy of the email
sent to myself, Rufus and Conrad

-- Jeremy Cole
UCC Vice President

"Hi,

The University was recently sent the enclosed automated request from
BayTSP, Inc. on behalf of MGM.  The request alleges that someone using
the UCC Internet connection downloaded/hosted an episode of Stargate
Atlantis.

This violates both the Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968 and the
University of Western Australia's Computer and Software Use Regulations.

Basically the request is cease and desist notice.  In other words the
individual who downloaded/hosted the episode should stop downloading and
or hosting it and delete it from their system.

Since we cannot easily determine who was responsible we would appreciate
it if you could please urgently send an email to all your users of the
UCC Internet connection such as:

               The University of Western Australia takes a very serious
view of its computer networks being misused to infringe copyright.  The
University has had two reports of illegal conduct during the last week.

               The purpose of this letter is to remind you of
Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968 and UWA's Computer and Software Use
Regulations with reference to the use of copyright material on
computers, networks and media.

               Unless you have the copyright owner's permission,
transmitting copyrighted material (including over the internet) and
copying such material in any way other than for legitimate academic or
personal use, is illegal and can expose you and UWA to civil and
criminal liability under copyright law.  This applies to all types of
copyright material, including music, films, games, software and other
works.

               Individuals caught illegally transmitting copyrighted
materials have faced legal action and had to pay thousands of dollars in
compensation.

               Staff and students must not put unauthorised copies of
copyrighted material on computers, networks or media owned by UWA.

               Nor should they put unauthorised copyrighted material on
the internet, or engage in activities such as peer-to-peer
'file-sharing' that are likely to promote or lead to copyright
infringements.

               Contravening UWA's Computer and Software Use Regulations
may result in disciplinary action as per section D of the University
Calendar.

               Please do not hesitate to contact the Student Internet
Support Office on 6488 3814 or email support at student.uwa.edu.au if you
have any questions.

               Luke Williams
               President