[ucc-announce] Welcome to UCC 2017

Christopher Forbes 21153308 at student.uwa.edu.au
Tue Feb 28 11:00:53 AWST 2017

Dear UCCans,

Welcome to The University Computer Club!

This email is directed specifically at first time members, but I know a few
of you old timers may need some reminders.

If you have not come to the clubroom yet, please come up to us so that we
can set up your account fully, and you can begin to enjoy all that UCC has
to offer. Directions on how to get to the clubroom can be found on the
pamphlets handed out on O-day, or here: https://www.ucc.asn.au/i
nfobase/freshguide/directions-2013.pdf

*Mailing Lists*
UCC often uses email for communication. There are various lists that you
can sign up for at <https://lists.ucc.asn.au>. The most popular lists are
ucc-accounce@ for announcements and ucc@ for general discussion. If you are
interested in technology, join the tech@ list. If you want to be kept up to
date with management of the club, join committee at .

A lot of information is also discussed in our facebook *group*, University
Computer Club (UCC).

*Upcoming Events*

*Fresher Welcome*
Monday March 6 @ UCC Clubroom
The event is to welcome you, a new UCC member, to the club. There will be
member new and old to talk to and get to know.

*Intro to Programming*
Starting Friday March 17 at 4pm Weekly
Ever wonder how computers work? Ever wanted to make a game or similar? Do
you want to learn to program but not know how to start. We'll be teaching
people form absolute beginners to those with a bit of skill everything you
might want to know as we work towards building a basic game from scratch.
We'll be using C++.

*Annual General Meeting*
Tuesday March 14 1pm @ Guild Council Meeting Room
The meeting to elect the new committee for 2017. We have a position juts
for you, the Fresher representative. You should attend to either run or
vote for the person who will represent you in the committee. If you don't
know where the Meeting Room is, people will guide you from the clubroom
shortly before the meeting commences.

*Housekeeping*
Door Members are your first port of call for help with anything
UCC-related. Finding one is as easy as asking for one in the clubroom. If
the clubroom is open there will be at least one door member present. If you
need to put money onto your account for drinks and snacks, help you connect
to wifi, etc you should talk to them.

Door members are also responsible for maintaining the clubroom, so you are
also expected to listen to them when they ask you to do something. Failure
to do so can result in your banning from the clubroom for a period of time.
As a club member your responsibilities include, but are not limited to;

   - cleaning up your own rubbish
   - acting in a respectful manner
   - not moving equipment without permission
   - not engaging in anything illegal or would otherwise harm the club

*Useful Links*

*Website*
https://www.ucc.asn.au/

*Social Media*
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/universitycomputerclub/
Discord: https://discord.gg/G8bsgBE

*Email*
Committee: committee at ucc.asn.au
Fresher Representative: fresher at ucc.asn.au
Tech Related: tech at ucc.asn.au

Thankyou for joining our club, and we hope you all have a great time with
us at university.

Regards,

Chris Forbes
UCC Interim President/Treasurer 2016