[CDG5] Newish CubeE build system

Elliot Nunn elliotnunn at fastmail.com
Thu Sep 20 00:46:08 AWST 2018

Just stuffed hfsutils into a CPython module. Hard slog!

I’m hoping to dive further into the NewWorld ROM and get more of it building from source, particularly the parts that seem to wang the interrupt controller. The C compiler used in the build definitely supports inline assembly, so this could be a solution for partly reversing functions that we can’t round-trip. Other than that I’d like to revisit the BlueBox ROM, and see if I can get a near-vanilla CubeE to build (the build tree as is will not build). Slightly different binary versions are very helpful in making sure that you’ve got your reversal right, so a very late NewWorld image might be a good idea. NewWorld was crackable in the first place largely because so much code had been moved out of the ROM.

A comprehensive change history is just too much work unless we can automate part of it (and wouldn’t that be cool).

Your overview of the build process is pretty close. I’ll describe it in detail a bit later.