dropbear scp server rejecting client with "Name or service not known"

Ian McDonnell ij.wtp at mx11.aprioriamerica.com
Sat Apr 7 06:49:49 WST 2012

All,

I've moved from version 0.50 to 0.55 and find that I can login
just fine using openssh client ssh and dropbear 0.55 server, but
when using openssh client scp to the same dropbear server the
command fails with:

> $ scp Makefile tsct:
> toor at tsct's password:
> WARNING: Ignoring unknown argument '--'
> scp: exited: Error resolving: Name or service not known

I've looked for options for reverse DNS lookup auth checks etc.
The server host has an /etc/hosts entry for the client machine's
IP, but looks to me like dropbear scp server is still unhappy.
Anyone know why 'ssh' works just fine, but 'scp' does not?

I'm using the multidropbear binary, with links in the usual
places, eg /usr/bin/rcp etc.  I can see using strace that the
dropbear server is exec'ing (dropbear) rcp.  It looks like it
does a DNS (NSS?) lookup before failing.  Does 0.55 have some
new authentication logic that is just for scp?

Thanks,
-Ian