forwarding problems

Maris, Rob maris.rob at ingenieur.de
Tue Jul 24 16:16:36 WST 2012

Am 24.07.2012, 01:55 Uhr, schrieb Matt Johnston <matt at ucc.asn.au>:

> When you kill a process the OS will close its TCP connections by sending
> a reset packet to the other side. If the whole machine turns off those
> packets can't be sent.
>
> After it reboots, the OS should reject packets from the stale
> connections and reset them then. But that'll only happen when data or a
> TCP keepalive is transferred (I think).

Thanks for this hint. Using information from
     http://tldp.org/HOWTO/TCP-Keepalive-HOWTO/overview.html
and its next page, I drastically reduced keepalive constants in my
vserver, and the problem has been solved.

Next step is testing dbclient's -K option and see whether port forwarding
is re-connected when the server dies and restarts. I'll let you know if
this works (eventually with patch as proposed in
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.network.ssh.dropbear/962 ), prior to using
extra resources (autossh). I'll let you know.

Rob