[tech] Re: Secondhand Alphastations

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Dec 8 16:27:59 WST 1999

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 03:39:08PM +0800, Stephen Darragh wrote:
> Well, seems BBF only do 16meg SIMMs with true parity.
>
> Soooo...  Whatever other source you'd prefer, I guess.

How much for? They'd be good for Suns.

Both of us would still need some Alpha memory, though. I think you'd
better take a look around - if you can find a source of RAM that's cost
effective for you, we'll take an upgrade as well. How much RAM do you
want to run with?

www.kingston.com is expensive, but the look reputable and have some
details on the requirements of many machines, including the 3000/300.
Apparently banks of two are all that's needed.

If I go by what I think is the right specification, I get USD$60 per 8MB
SIMM, USD$127 per 32MB SIMM. The listed memory packs for the 3000/300's,
presumably guaranteed to be the right ones, are ;

KTV-A300/16: USD$93	(2x8MB?)
KTV-A300/64: USD$343	(2x32MB?)

Ouch!

www.coastmemory.com only ships to the US & Canada, though there's
people who'd order for us. They seem much cheaper - USD$14.49 for 8MB
and USD$45.49 for 32MB.

Nick.

--
  Nick Bannon  | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick at it.net.au | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal