[tech] Mermaid's uptime

David Manchester mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 00:54:22 WST 1999

> > On Oct 27, David Manchester scrawled :
> >
> > What shall we do with Mermaid. .. . mako or moray replacement, or shall
> > we hark back to the mermaid/starfish/marlin days and have two semi-decent
> > user machines..?
>
> Lots of people still use mermaid for checking email and other low-load

Like me :)

> tasks, although most people doing coding now use mussel. If mussel can
> handle the additional load of everyone checking their email then I don't
> see why we shouldn't use mermaid as a moray replacement, and then use
> the Pentium we just had donated to replace Mako.

mmm, modulo people wanting to make effectively a PC games machine.
I vote moray replacement. Ben seems to be set on taking the new
pentium as a mako, but people want to make that the play machine.
... but I want mermaid to live on, also. I think whatever needs the most
RAM needs mermaid's motherboard and CPU, given that its got 64MB now & can
easily have more (there are 4 spare slots).
If we do body-snatch it, I'd like to put mermaid's disk into something else
& keep the mermaid install alive.

Cheers
/dave

--
/  David Manchester <mustang at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au>  [TDH]  Netware/UNIX droid. \
Tell someone who's interested, tell someone who can keep their lunch digested