[tech] Mermaid's uptime

Mark Tearle mtearle+ucc at tartarus.uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 27 12:41:11 WST 1999

> > tasks, although most people doing coding now use mussel. If mussel can
> > handle the additional load of everyone checking their email then I don't
> > see why we shouldn't use mermaid as a moray replacement, and then use
> > the Pentium we just had donated to replace Mako.
>
> mmm, modulo people wanting to make effectively a PC games machine.
> I vote moray replacement. Ben seems to be set on taking the new
> pentium as a mako, but people want to make that the play machine.
> ... but I want mermaid to live on, also. I think whatever needs the most
> RAM needs mermaid's motherboard and CPU, given that its got 64MB now & can
> easily have more (there are 4 spare slots).
> If we do body-snatch it, I'd like to put mermaid's disk into something else
> & keep the mermaid install alive.
>
> Cheers
> /dave
>
>From discussion at the end of the committee meeting yesterday
(where are those minutes Ben?), there was some form of consensus that
mako was already well specced and coping well except for running
the web server, the proposition was put forward that we upgrade
moray and move the web server back there.

Also finding a list server less likely to grind the machine was discussed.

My personal opinion is that we just source a Pentium from elsewhere
to be a faceless machine like moray, we do have enough money at the moment.

Yours
Mark
Mark Tearle - mtearle at tartarus.uwa.edu.au

Captain Bipto: We did win, didn't we?
Blaznee: No, but if we think fast enough we might just live to lie about it.