[tech] Switches and hubs...

Simon Fryer fryers at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Sep 2 16:19:55 WST 1999

> A while ago Nick Bannon tapped:

> On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 03:25:17PM +0800, Simon Fryer wrote:
> [...]
> > > - Preparations for sensible power (tm)
> >
> > This will become an eventuality some day - but the people installing it are
> > likely to need a lot of access to the machien room.  I forsee much uphevall
> > and downtime when the power is finally installed. I would also imagine
> > that the machine room will be reoptimised several times between now and then.
> [...]
>
> Well, there's a lot we could do towards it simply by Powerboard Overkill
> (tm). Neatly attach as many power sockets to each rack as there is
> space for power using devices. Add a couple for luck. Add a few more in
> sensible spots on the walls or hanging from the roof. Use the appropriate
> circuits to power each one and possibly do some actual measurements with
> a clamp meter.

And the Powerboard Overkill is different from current UCC setup in which way
exactly! :-)

About the clamp meter thingy... I think I put the power cable suitable for
a clamp meter on starfish. Has anyone actually measured the power consuption
yet?

>  - Placement of the monitor switch and serial terminal(s)
	And the serial console switch (I think that is what is it!)

   - Securing of erwin to something solid so it is no longer in the machine
		room.

   - replacement of the network card in Manta

  - reracking merman and debugging the serial problems with the new CPU card.

See Ya
Simon

"Well, an engineer is not concerned with the truth; that is left to
philosophers and theologians: the prime concern of an engineer is
the utility of the final product."
Lectures on the Electrical Properties of Materials, L.Solymar, D.Walsh