[tech] Bizarre network problem

Grahame Bowland gbowland at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sat Apr 8 19:39:46 WST 2000

Hiho,

Can anyone tell me what I should do about this problem? My computer
has a Netgear tulip card. From the machine I can ping other boxes
on our network, but they can't ping me. I can also watch traffic
going past when in promiscuous mode.

The link light on the hub (for the socket I'm plugged into) doesn't
turn on. It does (briefly) if I ping something, but not otherwise.
For the other machines, including another with the same network card, the
light is constantly on.

We just ran a cable tester over the blue cable and it seems fine. Is
there anyone out there that has seen this before?

Cheers,

--
Grahame Bowland

Email: gbowland(a)gbowland.com           Web: http://www.gbowland.com/