[tech] Bizarre network problem

Angus Stewart bongus at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Sun Apr 9 12:47:40 WST 2000

> Can anyone tell me what I should do about this problem? My computer
> has a Netgear tulip card. From the machine I can ping other boxes
> on our network, but they can't ping me. I can also watch traffic
> going past when in promiscuous mode.

I have this same problem from my gateway at home... I turn icmp_echo
replies off.

> The link light on the hub (for the socket I'm plugged into) doesn't
> turn on. It does (briefly) if I ping something, but not otherwise.
> For the other machines, including another with the same network card, the
> light is constantly on.

It sounds like the card is dodgey. Easy to test - get that same card out
of the other machine and try it where the suspect card is. Having the
wrong driver can often do weird stuff too. I find the DOS-based
diagnostics tools great for determining that it is a zapped card.

> We just ran a cable tester over the blue cable and it seems fine. Is
> there anyone out there that has seen this before?

Lightning is bad.. mm'kay.